Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day - Wedding Anniversary



First 10am class I've taken. Felt a little stiff driving over but after a couple of postures I was feeling pretty good.

Britton led the class. She is always positive but it seems she's more...loving. That's what I've incorporated into my classroom. My BFF, Laura, says that the best administrators and teachers are the people that make you want to please them. Yoga teaches me to be a better teacher.

I'm doing all the postures now, except the Toe Stand Pose and the Locust. Of course I don't do any of them perfectly or correctly. But at least with those you have an idea of what the posture is SUPPOSED to look like.

Here's the ones that, when I can do these, I will feel that I've truly turned a corner:

1. Standing Head to Knee. Can't hold full time. This one hurts.
2. Toe Stand Pose. Almost there. Hands on floor, bending knee, but not standing on one foot. Not enough balance.
3. Locust. Nope. No Way.
4. Fixed Firm. Sometimes I don't lay down in the posture. Sometimes I can.
5. Awkward Pose. I can do all of them except the final one when you put your knees together and go down. Painful. Seems strange because my legs had always been so strong.

The rest of the poses I'm just working on flexibility, strength and balance to get the full expression.

For me, it's the practice of being where you are and then just striving past the discomfort into being a bit more flexible, a bit more stronger and a bit more balanced.

Today, I was able to enjoy pushing myself as far as I could go in some of the postures. Up until now, it was "whoa, you're going to hurt yourself or overexert yourself". That's because of overheating and inflexibility. It's only been a week and I'm starting to feel like I can really get into it. That's going to be awesome when I can just really truly get into the postures.

Indulgence. I bought two new beach towels for yoga. The towels can be used for the beach too! How versatile!

AND I bought a terry cloth robe. It's plush and pink with a soft orange interior and pockets. When I come home and shower after yoga, I can't seem to dry off enough and my clothes stick to me. So now I can flip flop around in my comfy new bathrobe until I feel nice and dry. Then I can change into my clothes or even better, my jammies. I get the best sleep after hot yoga. Of course, today, it's NOON. What will I do? Afternoon nap? Mebbe? Maybe!

Michael gets home tonight around midnight. I can wish him Happy Anniversary and then take him to the airport early tomorrow morning. He's going to Vegas to do a show.

No comments: