Friday, April 3, 2009

Change!

I teach ninth graders. This was a career change and it's now my fourth year. I'm constantly amazed at how the smallest "tweak" will change the same lesson from a disaster to a success. One "tweak" are my instructions. From "who knows the answer to this question?" to "Now, I'm going to ask a question, if you know the answer raise your hand...don't say anything... just raise your hand..." With that adjustment in my directions, I go from a situation where students are shouting out answers and trying to have conversations to an orderly response....most times...

So in Bikram, as we transition between postures, the instructor will say 'change' and I cannot help but notice that many of us will flop out of the position.

The 'CH' sound itself is a stronger sound so it has more force behind it. So when they want us to move more abruptly the word 'change' is more effective. However, when they want us to transition more slowly out of the position maybe there are other ways of saying that to get the desired effect. How about "now....slowly move out of the posture"? Of course, in a posture like standing bow where I'm just waiting to POP out of that pose, I'd like to hear "Change!" as soon as possible.

No comments: